Sunday, November 8, 2015

Book Talk for "Nothing" by Janne Teller


This is a quick example of what would be included in a proficient book talk. Don't be afraid to improvise a bit, but don't improvise too much. If I were you, I would write myself a little notecard and mark the page in my book I'm going to read so I don't forget what I plan on saying. Stagefright tho...


Intro: Hello, I’m Corey Ryan and I’m going to make you want to read Nothing by Janne Teller.

Hook: What if I told you that everything you’re doing, everything you are means nothing.  I’m telling you nothing at all matters!  What would you give me of yours to convince me that something does have meaning?  

Summary:  Anthon Pierre walked into his 7th grade class the first day after summer break and decided that “Nothing matters.”  His peers don’t believe him and they want to prove him wrong.  Students in Pierre’s 7th grade class start constructing a “heap of meaning.” Each student picks something that the next student will give up and then that student gives up what was asked of them and so on and so on.  This pile, at first, contains things that carry deep meaning such as pictures of deceased loved ones, the flag and items that took a great sacrifices to get.  But soon the students get serious.  They “mad,” maybe resentful at what they had to give up and think of something that MEANS a lot for the next student to give up.  
(Of course you’re going to say nothing.  No, you can’t read this as reality.  It’s metaphorical.  But it’s deep!)

Introduction:  This is the first item that appears in the heap of meaning that turns the heap of meaning into something else entirely.  Otto had just given up his boxing gloves which meant a lot to him.  It is Otto’s turn to pick what Elise has to add to the heap of meaning. There is the turning point in the book.  I’m going to read from page 64.   

Who should read it:  People who like to think.  People who would think about the meaning of life.  People who like to read about weird stuff.  People who like Survivor but are not dumb.  You all should read it because it’s written in a simple manner, but has tons of meaning inside.

Questions:  Does anyone have any questions?  

No comments:

Post a Comment